Wednesday, November 29, 2006

On Religous Debate

There is an issue making it impossible to clearly define your opponent's position when discussing religion. It appears that there are 30,000 separate incompatible Christian denominations, included in perhaps 50,000 different organized religions. Indeed, it appears that there are billions of different positions on religion as no two people in the pew seem to have the same one.

No matter what synthesis or summary one makes of religious belief, it becomes incorrect by not being general enough. In attempting to determine what Christians believe, there appear to be only a few general statements that can be made. One seems to be that I may not question a point of anyone's faith and further they need supply no evidence. That means that all people of religion are enablers of whatever anyone wants to claim about their religion.

In attempting to understand religion, I've found the most useful hypothesis is that all religion is fraud. Using that hypothesis one can more easily analyze the consequences of any religious statement in debate.

1 Comments:

At March 14, 2009 7:34 AM, Blogger Cheryl Cato said...

Gary, I found your connection via your comments in Bishop Rickel's blog. I just read your last comment & surmise we must be about the same age & with similar familial backgrounds. Religion has always been difficult for me. There are few people with whom I discuss religion and certainly not with my family. I would like to drop in from time to time and I think I'll check into the authors you are currently reading. The first 3 I am not familiar with, but I'm sure I can research the names online.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home